Thursday, February 21, 2008

New Knitting Bag

I am a bag-a-holic. Not only am I addicted to knitting and yarn, but I am addicted to finding the "right" think to keep my knitting in... I have LOTS of bags - but can't have too many. Recently, I discovered military surplus (as if it's a new thing!) and found an online place that sells the name patches for uniforms, etc.

I ordered a bag and a name badge... they arrived, and I had the patch put on the front of the bag. it's a super cool bag (of course, I can't remember the website now!) but doing a simple search online will give you a number of them to choose from!


so this is my current favorite knitting bag - the straps on the front of the flap are velcro (ick) and go around brass hoops attached to the base of the bag to hold it shut - the rest of the closures are either snaps or zippers - perfect for a knitting bag!
What do you use to transport your knitting? anyone else have fun ideas for carrying or storing your projects? As far as storing projects in progress, I usually have each different project in its own bag - ready to haul out - and I just stuff all the bags *somewhere* in my closet - it's not a perfect arrangement; but it works.
Happy Thursday, Everyone!

9 comments:

Jadielady said...

Awesome! I know what you mean about "bleh" for velcro. Just a nightmare waiting to happen.
I use a backpack I got at AC Moores for $10. Its a knock off of a Vera Bradley print. Has one big section for my WIP and notebook, and a small zippered section for DPN's and cable needles (not that I know how to use them yet).
My mom and I both are bagaholics as well :) I think it goes hand in hand with knitting.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kyle, I can't even begin to tell you about my bag collection. I've got so many, and always on the look out for more. My Amazon wishlist is mostly bags. And I know all about the surplus store. (I can recite many of the item numbers from their supplier's catalogs!) And I not only knit, I've also got an obsession about CAMERA bags, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am a first-class bag-a-holic too! I don't even KNOW how many bags I have. There are all of the purses/handbags, of course, but I've amassed quite a collection of knitting/tote bags too. Geeky bits first: two of my favorite knitting bags are actually more or less just plain ol' canvas bags, which aren't the best knitting totes, really, but I like the designs on them. One is a conference freebie advertising the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (yeah, yeah, I know -- but I *love* dictionaries, so this bag is geeky enough for me even though it's nothing special as far as bags go), and the other is my official NPR-sanctioned Nina Totin' Bag. ;-) I also have a couple of Lexie Barnes bags for when I'm feeling stylish, and a couple of handmade quilted bags for when I'm feeling homespun, and a couple of repurposed laptop bags so I can look somewhat professional when toting the knitting to conferences and the like. And I have all kinds of little project pouches, too -- small little things that are just big enough for a sock or sleeve in progress. My favorites are silk ones from Della Q.

I won't get into all the bags on my wishlist...

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I'm such a bag-a-holic myself. I have like 8 knitting bags and I can't decide which one is better. The one that I'm using right now is by Namaste, the reason I like it is because it has lots of pockets an NO VELCRO!!!! The only thing that I don't like about it is the magnetic claps that close the bag. it's hard to find the clasps and make them close. But anywho.

loopykd said...

BRILLIANT idea to have a bag for each WIP. What a great excuse to make sure I have plenty! I only have two right now. 1 Big one to hold everything and it's functional but too big to haul around really and one small project bag. I am in San Diego for a couple of days for my husband's business and I plan on going to a shop close by that has Namaste bags. I can't wait to browse!

WonderMike said...

That's a very MANLY bag. Simple, classic, rugged. I love it. Especially with the Ravelry pin. :-)

I have lots of bags (Timbuk2, GoKnit Pouches, numerous canvas totes, and even a recycled banner tote) but I don't LOVE any of them. I'm still on the hunt, but just ordered a Tom Bihn Swift bag, so I hope that's the one!

Sarah said...

What a great bag!

I have yet to find the "perfect" knitting bag. I use different totes, depending on the project, and I have a small fabric bag that I use for my current sock-in-progress that is always in my purse.

Opal said...

Fantastic bag! I really love the Ravelry button you've got on it too. :)

Charles said...

Hey Kyle~

I just thank you for great comment!
Iam better and mt cold is gone!

If you listen to knitting podcast...I just post new blog.. It is BIG NEWS..Check it out!


Love...
Charles