The weekend was full of lots of fun things - along with other errands, I picked up my 2 felted bags from the seamstress that lined them for me - I don't love this first one - it's too thin (I used one strand of yarn instead of two) and the strap is too thin - I still like the colors, and I like my little vintage patch I had her put on for me - lessons learned on this one - when trying to felt a bag, make sure you either do a test swatch of felting or use 2 strands of yarn... it makes for a more substantial fabric!
The second bag I did turned out much better - 2 strands together - beautiful colors - grey, green, black - and it holds some memories for me - I worked on this bag in February, 2007 when I attended my dad's funeral - I sat at the viewing for an hour or so and just knitted with him - life is short - and I think that objects hold memory for us - that as time goes by, this bag became more than just a bag; it became an object that marked the passing of my father.
Anyway, I had it lined and put a fun zipper in it:
inside the pocket is a brown/orange fabric lining - I also supplied wider strap for the handle for this bag - I know how to tie the strap to connect it to the 2 "D" rings on the right side, but I haven't figured out how to attach the rest of the strap to itself... if anyone has bright ideas, I'd love to hear them. My latest thought was to add some snaps up the side - to allow for adjustment... BTW- the label was given to me by a friend for Christmas - I think they actually came from Connecticut, and they are woven across the pond in England! Here's the website... and I love them very much!
The other fun thing I was doing this weekend was trying to get the parts together for my antique circular sock knitting machine - there were some missing pieces to the puzzle, as it were, and I needed these items to make my next attempt.
yes, I made 'em! I think I want the weights to be heavier, but they worked pretty well. So now, armed with everything I needed, I sat down in the messy garage and started to work on my sock. Gregg was organizing the garage and keeping me company while I studied and tried to make my Legare 400 do what I wanted it to do... for about an hour or so. I am pretty proud of how far I got, but I kept dropping stitches and the sock was messing up - It was a lot of fun though... and while it's a challenge still, I'm determined to make this thing work!