Monday, April 07, 2008

Hellos and Good Buys - Weekend in Review

On Saturday, we went to Tomatomania! - a great place to buy heirloom tomatoes... I bought 11 different kinds and can't wait (for 70 +/- days to go buy) until I have lots of neat tomatoes!! My favorite sandwich is heirloom tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, a little mayo, some basil and a lettuce of some sort - on a nice soft bread... YUM! - This place also ships so if you're interested, go to the website and buy some... I recommend trying any of the "black" tomatoes! :)

Saturday afternoon, I took out the Circular Sock Knitting machine and made a pair of socks! they're not PERFECT, but they're complete... I did something funny with the top hem, and the sizing is a little strange (although they do fit!) but all in all, for my first complete pair, I'm pretty darn proud! Some people told me not to throw out my first pair.. this would be the first set I completed - and I'll keep them. I don't know that they'll ever be worn (I need some way to make the top more elastic; maybe when I get the ribber working) but they're worth preserving for nostalgia!

here's my 2 socks fresh off the machine - the fluorescent color is my "waste" yarn -
More good news from the weekend: Meet my new Kromski Mazurka! Yes, most of you know that I don't know how to spin *yet* - but I couldn't pass up the great deal (30% off) I got on this one - Stick and Stone Fiberarts is/was closing... so on Saturday, I met up with my pal Kelli (who knows how to spin AND owns a circular sock knitting machine) - and we raided what was left of the store. I bought the wheel, some roving and a few hanks of beautiful yarn at 70% off - The owner arranged a meeting for us to be able to go to the shop for one last spree (thanks, Margarete!) - and we both got some goodies.

I was able to spin immediately with my new wheel - I don't know what it is - I just sat down, pedaled and started making singles - I definitely need some classes on how to use it, but I am excited and can't wait to learn :)

Another thing that happened this weekend - I stopped by Knit Cafe and got my book signed by Suzan - the store closed Sunday at 3 - I had a chance to give her a hug and congratulate her on making her dream real - She inspired so many people - I can't wait to see what she does next! I'm glad I was able to get her to sign her book for me - it's special to me to have a record of these businesspeople who are ambitious enough to open shops... get published... their knowledge and perseverance inspires me... her book goes next to the Kaffe Fassett books and the Elizabeth Zimmerman autographed books I have. I'm curious - what other knitting superstars are around that you'd want autographed books from in your library? I can think of others I want; but I am curious to hear who you list :)


I met up with Doug Laughlin and a group of guys Sunday from 1-4 in West Hollywood to teach how to knit - I didn't really realize how many new students there was going to be at this meeting - just Doug and myself knew how to knit, and about 10 new students were there wanting to learn - it was challenging to say the least; I am admittedly not the *best* instructor, but after an hour or so, everyone had casting on down and most were knitting! By the end of the visit, a few guys were even purling - I hope they'll keep trying and practicing - it takes time, and with time, they'll get the hang of it!

I didn't get much knitting done this weekend; a little work on my blanket is all I managed - we did a lot (including the chores and shopping/"stuff" I didn't' write about) - so the 2 days were pretty full... it's Monday now, and time to get back to work -- nose to the grindstone, and all that sort of stuff - which is hard to do when so many fiber hobbies sit at home patiently waiting for me :)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought a wheel years ago, but it's in the "when I retire" queue. wait, I don't work. what am I waiting for?

It's great that you're passing along your knitting enthusiasm and skill. Knitters are really a sharing bunch, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Yup, that's my wheel, right there. And the same color, too.
AND!!! The yarn I spun for you was spun on MY Mazurka! Now you can spin your own. You're really going to love it, Kyle.

loopykd said...

Congrats on the wheel. Looks like you will be in trouble. Spinning is super super addictive I think to a personality like yours. Good luck and happy spinning!