Tuesday, May 13, 2008

High School Mural

I didn't know if it was still around - so I contacted my old High School (Deer Valley High School, in Glendale, AZ) - and sent a random request through their website and got ahold of one of the facilities folks - and she sent 2 photos - the second of which was actually the mural I helped paint in the early 90's when I attended school there!

I am happy that she was able to send a picture of this mural to me - I remember spending time after school with a few other kids, sketching out the mural on the wall, and using dozens of cans of wall paint to finish it... I did the flag, the smoke under the space shuttle, and the feather in the inkwell - I look at it now, as a 33 year old man and I see so much that could be improved - the perspective is all wonky, the blending needs work, scale is off - but in the end, it's something that I did and I'm really glad that I was able to get a photo of it -

It makes me think that there's other things I have done that I didn't document - they may not be the best examples of artistry ever, but they're part of my history and I want to try not to lose them...

This is part of what I love most about Ravelry - being able to document my knitting arts - I know now - (I have a record!) of every piece of knitting I make - what yarn I used, how much, needle sizes, progress photos, finished photos (sometimes; when I get it done) - and that's good - in time, I hope there's a way to print out these projects so that I can have them in bound form...

someday... someday... for now, I'll rely on the saving grace of people who still have access to the images and items left in my wake...




No comments: